Thursday, June 7, 2007

Tiptoe through the (Blue) Tulip

A few weeks ago my friend Jane introduced me to Westfield...and I am hooked! One hard-to-resist shop after another in a downtown that has served as a model to other communities for quite some time (trust me on this one--I used to live in a Westfield-aspirant!) So many stores, so little space...let's start with one that made a very big impression on me.
'Tis the season for hostess gifting among other occasions (dads, grads, weds and the like) and there are many stores that cater to this market, however, if you think you've seen one gift boutique you've seen them all, you'd possibly be right...that is, until you walk into the Blue Tulip. A display that was notable in its variety, uniqueness and clever presentation of objet --I was oohing and aahing all over the place as I quickly scribbled some notes (which I hope I can now transcribe!) about what I saw: teacher gifts, like a beribboned apple motif tower of three graduated-sized notebooks with matching pen (also available in sunflower pattern)...Father's Day pilsner glass having TV remote motif...hostess gifts including edible chocolate (ha! ' knew I'd sneak that one in!) flowerpots planted with truffles, and a daisy ceramic bowl with spreader...new spins on the most prosaic summer ware like bright jelly flip-flops and--no washed-out pastels!--vividly colored terrycloth beach/pool totes. What did I end up with? A pair of The most incredibly soft pale pink slipper sox.
Next time you need a gift and want to make a really memorable impression, it's 123 Quimby Street in Westfield. Many occasions, one store. Westfield. To Be Continued...

No comments: