Monday, May 28, 2007

Hot dog!

It's baaack...

All winter long I couldn't bear to drive on Route 22 East in Lebanon. I relied on a friend who lives there to tell me if he saw any sign of life replacing the "for sale" sign posted outside Stewarts Drive-In. Since we moved to Jersey (an aside: is it okay to use the term "Jersey" and not spell full out New Jersey? I have been chastised for using either term so would appreciate a definitive answer), this has been Herb and my standing date every Sunday, rain or shine, summer or winter. It was a looooong winter without. And just about a month ago the news got good, really good. My friend left me a voicemail that simply said, "there are trucks parked in Stewarts lot". And it went from there. I called their number which was still listed, left my name and phone and hoped for a response. Which I got a few days later from John Schneider, who told me he and his two partners (Rich Hendricks and Jim Daley) had bought the location and would be opening within days. My countdown began. Interrupted last weekend by an unexpected trip to Canada, our waiting ended yesterday. Good luck is wished to the new owners, once again all is well in my gustatory world (and where else can you see family minivans and sports sedans parked side by side with sleek Harleys?!)

1 comment:

wildsnowflake said...

For a bit more fancy dining, you might want to try their other restaurant, The Dunellen Hotel. Upstairs, it's like a non-chain all-american restaurant. The downstairs (The Rat) is an old pub which serves the same menu during restaurant hours, and an abbreviated pub menu after 10 pm.

BTW, If the burgers at Stewart's are the same as there, you don't need to upgrade to fries... the homemade potato chips are delish!