Thursday, April 5, 2007

Target Practice

"Don't tell anyone where you got that dress!," gently admonished a very lovely person whom I met last night at a musical gala. One minute earlier she had complimented me on my favorite version of The Little Black Dress: a simple spaghetti-strap A-line just grazing my knees. "Isaac Mizrahi...22 dollars at Tar-JAY (Target for the uninitiated)," I couldn't resist blurting out. See first sentence for her response.

Yes, Target (OK, I'll spell it right). They really do have their marketing finger on the pulse of the shopping public. The selection is an interesting mix of staples, fashion-forward seasonal clothing and furnishings, name brand grocery and sundry items as well as their own Archer Farms edibles (this is what all store brands strive to but rarely taste like, with such deliciously different treats as Key Lime White Chocolate Chip Cookies and Peanut Butter Dipped Pretzel Rods). They just have a knack for making the upscale affordable, attainable, attracting boldface design talents like Mizrahi, Michael Graves and Cynthia Rowley. And I like their logo canine (he reminds me of Petie, the Little Rascals' mascot).

Now can anyone tell me the significance of the word Greatlands in some of the locations?

No comments: