Monday, April 23, 2007

Pet Topic

I am admittedly (and not without a little pride) a total pushover when it comes to animals (a case of genetics at work: my cousins and I "blame" my aunt who brought home strays regularly and when my uncle noticed,would innocently reply, "what cat?") I channel this impulse into donations to various animal causes and rescues, of which there are many in our region, from St Hubert's to NJ Save A Pet, the Randolph Animal Pound (staffed by the delightful and compassionate Norma Jacobs) and Somerset Regional Shelter to MetroFerret and Kim's Ark Rodent Rescue. For every kind of animal there is a dedicated group. Now before I really start sounding like Bob Barker (I wonder if his replacement will keep up Barker's trademark close of "help control the pet population, have your pet spayed or neutered"?)... I am the holder of both Top Dog and Pet Perks tags (PetCo in Raritan and PetSmart in Bridgewater respectively), which means I make regular use of the Route 28 and 202 corridor.
Chain pet stores are often maligned; as in any place of business it all comes down to the personnel. I can only say that my experience at either location has been positive: the staffs are knowledgeable, the animals well cared-for and both places encourage adoption, holding frequent adoption events.
There are smaller pet shops around--which do you recommend? Who should be commended for the condition of their store and, more so, the animals in their charge? Let me know please.

No comments: