Sunday, March 23, 2008

Shopping for...alarm clock


The expert: Dan Taylor, morning drive host at 101.1 WCBS-FM. Dan’s been a radio professional literally since he graduated high school. You also hear his voice on many radio and TV commercials across the US and Canada.

The product: alarm clock

What I want: Battery back-up, two alarm settings and large numbers.

I must have: Easy to use; setting an alarm clock shouldn’t be as convoluted as reading the instruction manual for a new digital camera. And an adjustable volume control (I have to wake up Very Early in order to be on the air at 6AM so needless to say I want something that effectively wakes me but not at a BLARING level).

What I hate: Buying online and finding it’s not as described, cheapness so there’s no longevity. You “wind up” looking again in a year.

Savvy shopper: Make sure there’s a return guarantee, read reviews from other buyers. Always have that battery back-up at the ready (meaning loaded with batteries) in case of a power failure. I actually have two alarms, one on the other side of the room (the one by my bed has all the dents in it!).

My pick: Brookstone SmartSet Radio Alarm Clock. It automatically sets correct time and date even after a power outage (there’s also battery back-up). Programmable dual alarms, 20 station presets, adjustable dimmer, snooze bar and nap timer ($59.95, Brookstone shops).

Next best thing: Sony ICF-C492 Clock Radio has extra large numbers, adjustable brightness, is very easy to set, has battery back-up. You can wake up to your favorite station (101.1 WCBS-FM, of course!) or a gentle buzz ($26.94, J&R Music World, NYC and online).

as told to Laurie Squire

No comments: