Sunday, February 17, 2008

SHOPPING FOR...Children's DVDs

The expert: Rick Gitelson, executive producer of Disney Channel’s “Handy Manny” and co-executive producer of Disney’s upcoming new musical preschool series, “Imagination Movers.”

The product: children’s DVDs

What I want: Something that will add value to my children’s lives. It’s a lofty goal but there are so many great DVDs out there I think it is attainable. I also try to find DVDs that we can enjoy watching together.

I must have: Educational value, cultural value or even personal inspiration. They’ll likely be watching this DVD many times over and I’d like to feel that they’ll take something enhancing away from the experience.

What I hate: So many DVDs are loaded with previews and commercials that are difficult if not impossible to click past—they feel like marketing tools for merchandise. I hate to see kids manipulated into buying products. They’re typically not savvy enough to separate the entertainment from the sales pitch.

Savvy shopper: I read what other parents and children have to say about the DVDs I am considering. For example, Amazon.com does a great job of presenting a nice balance of good and bad reviews. The IMBD.com message boards and comment pages are also a good source of information.

My pick: I’m proud of “Imagination Movers: Stir It Up”. The four musicians from New Orleans have a great sound that even gets parents bopping and singing along to their music videos but the messages in the songs are clearly geared to kids, reminding them to clean their room, take their medicine and always say please and thank you ($14.99, Amazon.com).

Next best thing: I love sharing with my kids the things that entertained me as a child. “Schoolhouse Rock” was a favorite and the latest 30th Anniversary Edition DVD is a compilation of all the classic shorts ($14.99, Borders in Bridgewater, Flemington, Livingston, Watchung, Woodbridge).

as told to Laurie Squire



1 comment:

Unknown said...

also check out
www.erockforkids.com
also on cdbaby
a big band for children