Sunday, July 8, 2007

Listen to the Music

Where do you buy your music? Are there still, oh what's that quaint phrase?, "record stores" around? Please write in and tell me where to go.
Admittedly I am like everybody else--I download music onto my iPod (my taste runs the gamut from ABBA to Zappa and everything in between), make purchases on Amazon.com and do the occasional in-person (Best) Buy. Ever since Sam Goody's closed at the mall (and don't even get me started on the departure of my most favorite browsing emporium, Tower Records), I have missed the singular pleasure of flipping through those racks of CDs alphabetically arranged by genre, composer, top sellers, et al.
And now a plug for some alternative music. No, I don't mean hip-hop or metal. Opera. It's been borrowed by pop culture for years, everything from Della Reese's recording of Don't You Know (Musetta's Waltz from La Boheme) to the Spatini Spaghetti Sauce commercial (La Donna E Mobile from Rigoletto) to Spike Jones spoofs and countless cartoons ...all of which leads to a quick aside: in my non-writing professional activity I had opportunity to work with Beverly Sills and she really was everything you've read: charming, gracious, bubbly, down to earth. Opera. Try it. You may like it.

1 comment:

wildsnowflake said...

You need to visit Vintage Vinyl in Fords (by Rt. 1). Don't let the name fool ya... they actually have current releases (CDs, DVDs, AND RECORDS!)too.

It's been named one of the best indie record stores in the nation by various magazines including Rolling Stone. Lots of in-store events.

www.vvinyl.com