Sunday, April 20, 2008

Shopping for...energy-efficient lightbulbs part II


The expert: Maiara Walsh, who stars as “Meena Paroom” on Disney Channel’s Original Series, Cory in the House. Maiara has been a guest DJ on Radio Disney to promote “green” tips for kids and has made her studio set more eco-friendly.

The product: energy-efficient lightbulbs

What I want: Lightbulbs that will last and provide good lighting.

I must have: Economical and, of course, be environmentally friendly!

What I hate: There’s such a wide variety to choose from now and telling the differences between different brands can be confusing. For some reason I didn’t think fluorescent lightbulbs would be bright enough or give off nice lighting, but I found that it gives my room the exact, if not better, quality of light I want.

Savvy shopper: Have an idea of what kind of wattage you are looking for. Before you go shopping know what room you are going to use these bulbs in so you can gauge the intensity of light you are interested in. CFLs are great because they use 75% less energy than regular lightbulbs and last about 10x longer, they’re safer to operate and you save about $30 per lightbulb over its life.

My pick: General Electric CFL Lightbulbs, 13w (60w equivalent). I bought them at Wal-Mart for $9.88 and they came in a six pack.

Next best thing: I’m pretty sure that my pick was the best deal economically, so if you are looking for more watts then I’d go with the GE CFL Lightbulbs, 26w (100w equivalent) for $15.16 at Wal-Mart (they come in a six pack as well).

No comments: